MODNR: Consumer Tips for Getting an Energize Missouri Appliance Rebate
Five things consumers need to know about the program
JEFFERSON CITY, MO, APRIL 14, 2010 via the Missouri Department of Natural Resources – A federally-funded home appliance rebate program is intended to improve energy efficiency and stimulate the economy using funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or Recovery Act. States around the nation are giving rebates to consumers to replace inefficient home appliances with energy-efficient models. Every state has specific energy needs, so rebate programs may look different from state to state.
Missouri’s $5.6 million Energize Missouri Appliance Rebate Program starts April 19 and will fund rebates for five appliance categories – space heating, space cooling, water heaters, clothes washers and dishwashers. The Recovery Act funding for the program equals approximately $1 per Missouri citizen. Consumers can qualify for rebates from $75 to $500 with a maximum of $575 for multiple appliances. The department anticipates issuing 48,000 rebates during the program. Rebate reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Experience in other states shows the program is very popular, and the funds will go fast.
Missouri has scheduled its rebate program to coincide with the “Show Me Green” ENERGY STAR® sales tax holiday. Consumers who wish to take advantage of the rebate program and the state sales tax holiday must purchase the ENERGY STAR appliances between April 19-25 in participating retail and installation contractor businesses.
Consumers should plan ahead and be ready to buy the qualified appliance when the programs begin next week. Here are five ways to maximize consumer savings:
1. Learn more about the Energize Missouri Appliance Rebate Program.Consumers must purchase ENERGY STAR appliances to replace older, less efficient models. Consumers must recycle the old appliance to qualify for a rebate. Consumers may want to consider the following steps to help during the rebate program.
- Step 1 – Make a Purchase: Starting April 19, consumers may visit a participating retailer or installation contractor partner to purchase ENERGY STAR-qualified appliances and reserve a rebate.
- Step 2 – Reserve a Rebate: Starting April 21, a limited number of rebates will be available for consumers to reserve directly online at www.MissouriApplianceRebate.com or via telephone at 877-541-4848. The program’s online reservation system will enable consumers to quickly and easily reserve a rebate and print out their rebate application directly from a web-enabled computer. Participation in this program is expected to be high. This could mean longer wait times if consumers try to reserve a rebate on the phone instead of at the store or online. Consumers will have 60 days after reserving a rebate to purchase a qualified appliance from a participating retailer or installation contractor.
- Step 3 – Recycle: Most participating retailers and installation contractors will collect and recycle the old appliance when they deliver the new appliance. Consumers can also recycle their old appliance at a recycling facility or turn-in event. Consumers must show proof of recycling. Visit the Web site at MissouriApplianceRebate.com for details on recycling.
- Step 4 – Document and Mail: Consumers must sign and mail their completed rebate application form along with the proof of purchase, residency and recycling to Energize Missouri Appliance Rebate Program, Dept 21282 P.O. Box 3688, Medina, OH 44258-3688 within 60 days of making a reservation. Consumers can expect to receive a rebate check(s) for valid claims within 4-6 weeks from the day they mail in their rebate application.
2. Meet the Eligibility Requirements – Consumers will qualify for a rebate only if they meet all of the following conditions:
- Must be a Missouri resident and 18 years of age or older.
- Own the property where the appliances will be installed, with the exception of clothes washers. Renters are eligible for clothes washer rebates.
- Buy only one appliance per appliance category per address. Rebates range from $75 to $500 with a $575 maximum rebate allowed for multiple appliances.
- Purchase an ENERGY STAR-qualified appliance from a participating retailer or installation contractor.
- Mail in the rebate application form along with all required support documentation postmarked within 60 days of making the reservation.
3. Be Ready to Buy on April 19.1. Research before April 19 – Visit the Web site –MissouriApplianceRebate.com and locate participating retailers and installation contractors to learn about the eligible appliance categories and models. Choose the make and model of the appliance(s) and take the information to the participating retailer or installation contractor.
2. Buy on April 19 or 20 – Consumers best chance for securing a rebate is through a participating retailer or installation contractor. The funds may go quickly. If a particular retailer or installation contractor is not currently registered as a partner in the program, consumers may contact them to participate.
3. Don’t give up – A limited number of reservations will be available directly to the consumer on April 21 and unclaimed rebates may be available later in the program. All ENERGY STAR purchases from April 19-25, even those without a rebate reservation, will benefit from the “Show Me Green” ENERGY STAR sales tax holiday, and other “green” rebates may apply.
4. Keep a Copy of the Paperwork – To secure a rebate, consumers are required to mail in a copy of their completed and signed rebate application (with unique ID#), proof of purchase, proof of residency and proof of recycling. Consumers should make sure to save copies of all of the paperwork!
5. Enjoy the Savings – ENERGY STAR qualified appliances are designed to use 10 to 50 percent less energy than standard appliances, resulting in savings for the consumer, as well as reduced emissions of greenhouse gases and pollutants.
To learn more about the Energize Missouri Appliance Rebate Program, please visitMissouriApplianceRebate.com.