EnergyValue Housing Award Call for Entries
The U.S. Department of Energy is calling for entries for its 17th annual EnergyValue Housing Award (EVHA) Competition. The EVHA has been honoring builders passionate about energy efficiency since 1996, and in 2010 the competition was opened to remodelers as well. EVHA winners are an elite group who elevate standards for energy-efficient construction and foster the adoption of energy-efficiency principles.
The 2012 EVHA applications are available for download at http://www.nahbrc.com/evha/. Applications are due July 29, 2011.
What is the EVHA?
An awards program created by the U.S. Department of Energy and administered by the NAHB Research Center in cooperation with NAHB, the National Renewable Energy Lab, and the Building America Program. This judged competition seeks entries from builders and contractors who are striving to reach new levels of energy efficiency in their projects and those who could benefit from being honored as one of the most progressive contractors in the country. The EVHA provides independent unbiased analysis of building techniques, materials, business practices, and customer service: past winners have reported huge increases in business as a result of earning one of the coveted awards.
The 2012 EnergyValue Housing Award search committee is seeking entries for both the New Homes and Existing Homes Divisions. Building Contractors and Remodelers are invited to submit projects that are substantially lower in energy use than typical similar structures and have been completed after January 31, 2009. Entry fee is $100.
The New Homes Division accepts entries in the following categories: Custom/Demonstration, Production, Affordable, and Multifamily. Existing Homes Division categories are: Reconstruction/Demonstration, Single family, and Multifamily. In addition to the various categories houses are also classified in one of three climate zones: hot, moderate, and cold.
- May request two tickets to the annual EVHA recognition event – February 08, 2012 at ICEBAR Orlando, Florida in conjunction with the International Builders Show. At the event finalists are showcased and receive their awards and guests have a chance to network with sponsors, judges, government representatives, and other contractors. The 2012 celebration will feature 3 climate zones with special attractions: the cold climate ICEBAR where guests don wraps and gloves to enter the 27 degree room completely constructed of ice; the hot climate Fire Lounge hosting the evening’s entertainment and dining selections; and the outdoor moderate climate Patio where desserts and gourmet coffee selections will be offered.
- Receive detailed judging comments that address the strengths and weaknesses of the structure as well as suggestions for improvements to building and business practices, customer service, etc. The judges’ comments have often been referred to as “the most valuable critique ever received by the builders”.
- Receive recognition in the EVHA publication, website, and at the awards presentation
- Are eligible to participate in educational programs, conference presentations, etc.
- Use of the EVHA logo for their marketing materials
- Possible publicity in national trade magazines and manufacturers’ materials
More information: www.nahbrc.com/evha or call Debra Sagan 301-430-6210