Thank you to all HBA Members who attended the 2015 HBA Convoy Christmas of Hope. A wonderful time was had by all, and the amount of excitement and hard work that was put into our volunteer project was bountiful! Thank you Millstone Custom Homes & Renovations, Southern Supply and Wildcat Rentals for sponsoring this event.
(watch event video below)
Giving something back to the community was our focus this year – and we managed to do that by bagging 16,620 meals to give to hungry children! There was so much enthusiasm and hard work during our hour of volunteering. This project got others thinking and saying “we need to do this type of thing more often.” So be on the watch for what the new year will bring as we can give back to the community!
As part of the Christmas Party the Home Builders Association of Greater Springfield installed the 2016 HBA Board of Directors (click for details) and announced its most prestigious honors of the year at this year’s annual Christmas party and volunteer project at Convoy of Hope in Springfield. The annual HBA awards announced during the evening’s festivities included HBA Member of the Year, HBA Associate Company of the Year and HBA Associate Individual of the Year.
The HBA Builder Member of the Year went to Travis Miller, owner of Travis Miller Homes, Inc. Travis serves on the HBA Board of Directors as Secretary, the HBA Executive committee, chairs the HBA Regulatory Advocacy (Springfield/Greene County) committee, chairs the HBA Regulatory Advocacy (Christian County) committee and chairs the HBA Membership Involvement Points committee. Travis participated in the HBA Strategic Planning, attends education events, attends HBA Membership networking events, participated in the HBACF Corn Madness event and advertised in the HBA Event Magazine.
Quality Masonry, LLC was honored as HBA Associate Company of the Year. Michelle Romero serves on the HBA Charitable Foundation (is the incoming Vice President), Michelle and Javier attend the majority of the HBA Membership Networking events. Over the past year, Quality Masonry has participated in the Home Show, the Home Remodeling Show, the HBACF Corn Madness event and the HBACF Belt Sander Races. Michelle serves on the HBACF Scholarship committee. The company has also volunteered at a golf tournament, advertised in the HBA Event Magazine and volunteered at the HBA Home Show and HBA Home Remodeling Show.
Debi Murray of Murney Associates, Realtors was honored as the HBA Associate Individual of the Year. Over the past year, Debi served on the HBA Board of Directors and the HBA Charitable Foundation Board. She participates in the trade shows, had a banner hung at the HBA Home Show and Home Remodeling Show, sponsored the HBACF Corn Madness event, sponsored the HBACF Belt Sander Races, participated in the HBACF Corn Madness and the HBACF Belt Sander Races. Debi attends the majority of the monthly membership events, advertises in the HBA Membership Directory, volunteers to sell tickets at the Home Show and Home Remodeling Show, served on the HBA Strategic Planning committee and is working on the education section of the new strategic plan.
The HBA Board of Directors Award was awarded to five individuals this year:
- Kevin Scheer: Kevin serves on the HBA Board of Directors, serves on the CBBT Board of Directors, served on the HBA Strategic Planning committee and participated in the HBA Home Show and HBA Home Remodeling Show.
- Ed Alden: Ed serves on the HBA Board of Directors, serves on the CBBT Board of Directors, participated in the HBA Home Show, sponsors the spring and fall golf tournaments, attends advocacy events, advertises in the HBA Event Magazine, attends HBA Membership Networking events and participated in the HBACF Corn Madness. Ed also received this award in 2000.
- Mike Benna: Mike serves on the HBA of Missouri Board of Directors, serves on the HBA Board of Directors, serves on the CBBT Board of Directors and serves on the HBA Executive committee. He chairs the Political and Legislative Advocacy committee, served on the HBA Strategic Planning committee, serves on the Springfield Good Government committee and serves as the leader on the Smoke Alarm Give-Away project. Mike attends the majority of monthly membership events, attends HBA Education events and participated in the HBACF Corn Madness and won the tournament. He also received this award in 2013.
- Greg Adkins: Greg serves on the HBACF Charitable Foundation Board, served on the HBA Strategic Planning committee, chairs the HBA Membership committee and is working with the membership section of the new strategic plan. He attends the majority of monthly membership events, runs the ticketing area for the HBA Home Show and HBA Home Remodeling Show and coordinates the volunteers to staff the St. Jude Dream Home. He also received this award in 2014.
- Debbie Speake: Debbie serves as President of the HBA Charitable Foundation, serves on the HBACF Scholarship committee, serves on the HBACF Corn Madness committee and serves on the HBACF Belt Sander Races committee. She had a banner hung at the HBA Home Show and HBA Home Remodeling Show, participated in the Home Remodeling Show, volunteered at the Home Show and Home Remodeling Show, sponsored the spring and fall golf tournaments, advertised in the HBA Membership Directory and HBA Event Magazine. She also received this award in 2012.
HBA of Greater Springfield President, Sam Clifton, made a special recognition of a key HBA member who made extraordinary efforts for the betterment of the industry and/or the association. Travis Miller, owner of Travis Miller Homes, Inc. was awarded the Presidents Award.
In addition to the awards handed out, the 2015 Hall of Fame Inductee was honored at the HBA Christmas Party. A special plaque was given to Ron Deffenderfer to recognize his years of involvement, contributions and association commitment.
Ron Deffenderfer received a math degree from SMSU, taught public school in the Kansas City area for two years from 1968-1970. He built his first house in Belton, MO in 1970, built part time the next year and started full time in 1971. After a few years in the K.C. area, Ron and his wife Janet moved back to the Springfield area in 1975. He built in several areas in the Springfield market; Lakewood, Ravenwood South, Walnut Lawn, National Place, Iron Bridge. He also developed a subdivision in Ozark (Wood Ridge), along with many apartments and condos in the area. Ron joined the HBA in 1975 and was HBA President from 1980-81. He built his last home 9 years ago and like most builders they still have building in their blood, so he found a lot and built another one last year. Now Ron spends a lot of his time volunteering his time and talents on building mission trips.
Congratulations to this years award winners and inductee! Your hard work and association dedication is deeply appreciated.